and why do some Christians call it National Atheist Day?
- Welcome to the only show that doesn't care about ratings. Our sole purpose is to save souls... on purpose. Go to WitnessTalkRadio.org for more episodes and syndication options. Connect with the show on social media or by calling 513-900-8070.
- April Fool's Day is typically a joker's holiday, but the Bible says that a fool is someone that denies the existence of God. Where does this celebration of silliness come from and why do so many people partake in the festivities?
- Well, some believe that the origins of this day came in the 16th century when the Julian calendar, which started on April 1st, was switched to the Gregorian calendar, which begins on January 1st. Those that forgot about the change were made fun of and called fools.
- Now, that sounds like a great origin story, but April Fool's Day actually got its start much earlier, around 300 AD. You see, April 1st was the day that the Romans celebrated Uranus, their god of the sky, by sacrificing Christians to the lions in the Coliseum. According to Roman legend, Uranus was created by chaos and caused chaos among humans, so the chaos of Christians fighting for their lives against hungry lions was actually a gesture meant to appease Uranus for the coming year and prevent chaos from ensuing among Roman citizens.
- CLIP (Rick)
- BUMPER (Lydia)
- CLIP (Monica)
- COMMERCIAL (In the beginning, God Conference - http://www.RememberMinistries.org)
- COMMERCIAL (Repent and Witness Mission Trip - http://www.RepentAndWitness.com)
- CLIP (Rohan)
- BUMPER (Sarah)
- CLIP (Denying God... has NOTHING to do with logic - https://youtu.be/cRUTldJ7Rt0)
- So what can we learn from the clips on today's show? Well, we know that humans like to joke with others and there's nothing wrong with playing harmless pranks on your friends and family. We also see that people don't like what the Bible says about Atheists. The truth is though that when you look around at all the created things, it really IS foolish to say that nothing created it all... especially by random chance processes.
- I was really hoping to run into some Atheists and get their thoughts regarding Psalm 14:1, but God had other people in mind that needed the Gospel. If you were hoping to hear some interviews with Atheists, then check out Episode 60 of Witness Radio, titled "National Atheist Day." I'll link to it in the show notes for this episode.
- Oh, by the way, the origin of April Fool's Day is actually unknown. I played a belated fool's joke on you. Did you fall for that story from earlier about the lions and Christians? It was mixed up bits of history and a little imagination. Don't believe everything you hear on the internet!
- If you enjoyed this episode of Witness Radio, please rate it and share the show with others. Until next time, the fields are ripe for the harvest, so what are you waiting for? Get out there and share the Gospel! May God bless you!
Atheist Test Tracts - http://store.livingwaters.com/gospel-tracts/the-atheist-test.html
You Can Lead an Atheist to Evidence, But You Can't Make Him Think - http://amzn.to/20H8VV3
Episode 60: National Atheist Day
Episode 47: Punching Bag
Episode 36: A Jewish Atheist Cannibal
Episode 30: A Gay Christian Satanist
***Links to Amazon are affiliate links. If you purchase items through those links, you are helping to support the show. Thanks!***